Sunday, February 13, 2011

This is what I said I wouldn't do...

By : Dennis Stein

  I said I would not write opinion pieces when I started contributing to The Observer, but I cannot resist any longer... The approaching holiday season has already upped everyone's stress level, and drawn all the people out of their holes that want to RIP US OFF!!!
  I really don't hear much about high gas prices anymore, but perhaps I have deafened my ears to people who complain about it, but accept it as the way of things. Even when we read that a barrel of oil is just about at the lowest it has ever been, dollar wise. People complain about Hydro One and Enbridge, and their increased delivery charges, The HST, Green 'Eco' tax, and of course our government at large... Don't think for a second that I am defending any of it, because any of these things make my blood pressure rise.
 I think the thing which makes me reach a full blown rage, is that we seem to be powerless against these things, or that the majority among us who care about it simply go on with our daily lives and think there is nothing we can do about it. I remember one day a gentleman being in front of me in line at a store to pay for his gasoline, and complaining about the price. Upon glancing out the window to look at his vehicle, I noticed he was driving a Cadillac STS. I could feel the heat of anger... I won't disclose what happened, but it really ticked me off that the fellow could give the young lady manning the store a scathing rant over the 2 cents extra he had to pay today, but had he ever tackled an elected official about it? Doubtful.
 The other obvious trend these days is the maximization of profit by corporations large and small, at the employees and even customers expense. How many times have you noticed only two cashiers open lately, with a large line of people waiting? Sound familiar? Here is the translation: The company is saving money on employees to service YOU,... their customer!!! They take for granted that you will swallow hard, and accept that they are doing  what they CAN to serve you...If someone becomes angry about it, who takes the heat? The employee at the cash...
 Now you are back at work, where your employer continues to wring every last productive minute out of you, and if you are still lucky enough to have a union, the company doesn't seem to care what your collective agreement says. For the love of God, don't get injured - a report would be life-ending! It will put you into a hell of WSIB claim paperwork the size of Everest, threats from your company's Insurance carrier and your 'puppet' bosses, the frustration of a gazillion voice mail or automated menu phone calls ( with no answer ) and ultimately the loss of your wages and or your job for doing nothing wrong.......
 I hope this has been an enlightening update to life on planet Canada... Wake Up, everyone. It is time that all of these groups and companies are reminded who the boss really is - The Customer who buys your product. The Employee who makes your business run. The Voter who puts you in office...

No comments:

Post a Comment